Thursday, January 18, 2007

Whole Foods Delivers

I was sitting in the Whole Foods cafe last night with a half hour to kill before meeting R. for a drink and the ballet. My book was engrossing, my tea pleasantly minty, but peace was lost when a shot of wheatgrass plunked down in front of me and a voice boomed, "You must drink a lot of this stuff to get legs like that!"

Such openings rarely lead anywhere I want to follow. But when I looked up, I beheld a fantastic set of silver Salvador Dali mustachios trembling above a green silk cravat and three piece suit, and realized that I was going to have to go along with this one.

Salvador is a magician, it turned out, and a world famous one. When I expressed laughing disbelief he instantly set about a demonstration.

"First trick. I'm going to prove to you that the hand is quicker than the eye. How did that feel?"

oh dear god

"For my next trick, I want a kiss. But you probably think you don't know me well enough yet." He handed me a piece of filter paper. "Give me a lip print on that, will you?" I voiced certain concerns relating to DNA extraction and cloning. Assured that no duplicates would be made, I kissed the paper and handed it over. With that he lit the paper on fire and tossed it in the air [this to the considerable dismay of the man nose-deep in tofu to my right] and from the ashes conjured me a Hershey Kiss.

"Now," he said, unnerving me with the swiftness of his attack, "When are we going dancing? I'm a fantastic dancer. My dance partner Heather thinks she's a great dancer, but really I just keep her around for the massages."

I intimated that ballroom dancing is not my preferred activity, due to being dropped while attempting a dip early in my career.

"I dropped Heather once; you could hear the boom for miles. Thought for sure they'd get me for manslaughter."

I expressed regret that such a track record did not bode well for our future partnership.

"You'll love it, I promise," he said, and executed a small cha cha by way of convincing me.

I began to make vague movements suggesting imminent departure, but was waylayed as Salvador produced a stack of pictures. There was my friend with the Donald, Paul Newman, Benny Goodman, and as a heavily mustached infant. "Your mother must have been very proud," I said. "Oh, she was tickled to death."

As was I, leaving Whole Foods with a business card emblazoned 'MC: Magician to the Rich and Famous and [this hand-written] Dance Stud' in my hand.

4 comments:

Design Scouting said...

Dance Stud! I love it. And I love the blog, a perfect place for the things that only seem to happen to you to live on forever. I want to see a post about the FERRETS.

Unknown said...

FINALLY!

I've been waiting for you to publish so that we can live our lives through yours. It is terribly more exciting at the moment.

Hope to catch up soon. I will be in NYC hopefully in the next few weeks and can help you with your ahem technical computer issues.

Anonymous said...

wow, intresting night huh...
Finally someone who kept you amazed. That what you problably need a little magic....

Roz

NameNo said...

If only the magician had a long gray majestic beard....i almost heard wedding bells.